Thursday, February 20, 2020

Week 2: Retro Futurism and Narrowing Down Our Ideas

     My partner Sil is finally back, which means that we've gotten the chance to discuss our concepts for the project.  Right off the bat, Sil introduced a very interesting idea that I hadn't even thought of: retrofuturism.
     I've never heard that term before, but after showing me some examples, I realized it was something I had seem before quite a few times.  Here are some examples:




     While you may not know the name (like me), you've probably seen retrofuturism somewhere before.  It's basically what people in the early to mid-20th century thought the future may look like.  Probably the most famous example of retrofuturism is in the Fallout series, although it may not notice it initially due to the gritty post-apocalyptic aesthetic.  The name does a pretty good job at describing the look of retrofuturism; it's the future but it also looks like the 1950's.
     Of course, this will require some actual work on mise en scene and costume designs since we have to go for a 50's look.  Sil has suggested that we find some places to go shopping for some "old" clothes and various other stuff such as an antique TV set.  I have no idea where we'll find one of those but I suppose that's what we have all this time for.  She also suggested using an old doll house or something like it and use some clever camera techniques to make it look like a city for our film's setting.  Y'know, like some stuff George Lucas used to film the spaceships and stuff in Star Wars.  I have no idea how to do this either, but again, I have this time to figure that out.
     Or we may just not do that, so who really knows.
     We also discussed what our short film will be about, and Sil had an interesting idea about it being about some kind of dating show or something and critiquing today's hookup dating culture.  Sounds pretty neat, so we'll see how we can expand off of that.
     I'll be back later with further updates on our progress.  See you then!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Creative Critical Reflection

     All good things must come to an end, and the end of the journey I've spent the last 9 weeks writing about here has reached its end ...