Sunday, April 12, 2020

Week 9: I Realized I Needed Another Post So Here You Go

     So funny thing.  I did not realize that our short film opening was no longer due tonight, but is instead due tomorrow.  This misunderstanding led to Sil accidentally stressing me out of my mind as I was afraid I'd have to work down to the wire on finishing up editing.  It also led me into thinking that my second blog post for this week (April 6-April 12) would be our completed opening.  Since it's not, that means that I still need another post for the week.  Here we are now.
     Fortunately, I have plenty of stuff to talk about anyway since I've spent this time doing editing.  

Adding Audio to Video

     I've mentioned this a few times in the past, but let me bring it up again as a reminder: all of the audio in our opening is added in post.  Lucille's, even with barely any customers present, is a noisy place due to the music and people in the kitchen.  As a result, all the audio, including the dialogue, is being added to silent footage.  This means that Sil, Sil's friend Danna and I have had to read our lines into a camera and I have had to take the audio from those videos and add it to the opening, syncing it up with our mouth movements in the opening.  It's not as bad as it sounds, especially considering the video I'm getting Danna's lines from is just the video Sil used of her for the holograms, which makes syncing up the audio way less of an issue.  I'm just hoping against hope that our lines are being read after the fact at the same speed we were speaking when we filmed.  Other than that, I've added in some sounds for background noise such as diner noises, electricity buzzing, and air conditioning humming since the scene takes place indoors.

My Computer Does Not Like This

     There's been a tiny bump in the road that's made this process just mildly more annoying and time consuming.  I'm using my laptop for editing, and let me say, it and HitFilm do not like each other.  On one occasion, my computer froze up while editing and needed to be restarted.  On another occasion, HitFilm "encountered an error" or something and had to shut down.  The most annoying part is that when trying to play the video in the little preview window, it's so choppy that you can't even watch it.  Now to be fair, HitFilm warned me as soon as I installed it that my hardware was out of date.  However, I'm not gonna install another software.  I don't have the time or patience.  I've simply been forced to watch the cut in my Google drive and then place the audio files based on the timestamps where the lines are spoken.  Desperate times call for desperate measures.

     Anyway.  My next and second to last post (for real this time), which will be coming out tomorrow, will include our finished opening.  My final post will be published by Friday at the latest and feature my CCR.  See you then. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Creative Critical Reflection

     All good things must come to an end, and the end of the journey I've spent the last 9 weeks writing about here has reached its end ...